The Kundiman Poetry Prize
Published by Alice James Books
an affiliate of The University of Maine at Farmington
Deadline for submission:
March 15, 2014
The Kundiman Poetry Prize is dedicated to publishing exceptional work by Asian American poets. Winner receives $1,000 and book publication with Alice James Books.
For more information, visit our prize page here: www.kundiman.org/prize
And to submit electronically, click here: https://kundiman.submittable.com/submit/26452
Alice James Books
Alice James Books is a cooperative poetry press with a mission is to seek out and publish the best contemporary poetry by both established and beginning poets, with particular emphasis on involving poets in the publishing process.
Asian American writers living in the United States.
- Reading period begins January 15.
- Manuscripts must be typed, paginated, and 50 – 70 pages in length (single spaced).
- Individual poems from the manuscript may have been previously published in magazines, anthologies, or chapbooks of less than 25 pages, but the collection as a whole must be unpublished. Translations and self-published books are not eligible. No multi-authored collections, please.
- Manuscripts must have a table of contents and include a list of acknowledgments for poems previously published. The inclusion of a biographical note is optional. Your name, mailing address, email address and phone number should appear on the title page of your manuscript.
- No illustrations, photographs or images should be included.
- The Kundiman Poetry Prize is judged by consensus of the members of Kundiman's Artistic Staff and the Alice James Books Editorial Board. Manuscripts are not read anonymously. Learn more about our judging process.
- Winners will be announced in June.
Guidelines for Electronic Manuscript Submission
Click here to access the Electronic Submission Application between January 15 and March 15.
Guidelines for Print
Should you wish to submit your manuscript via postal mail, mail your entry to:
P.O. Box 4248
Sunnyside, NY 11104
Send one copy of your manuscript submission with two copies of the title page. Use only binder clips. No staples, folders, or printer-bound copies.
MANUSCRIPTS CANNOT BE RETURNED. Please do not send us your only copy.
Entry fee is $28. Checks or money orders should be made out to Alice James Books. On the memo line of your check, writeThe Kundiman Poetry Prize.
Checklist for print manuscript entry:
- One (1) copy of manuscript enclosed, with acknowledgements and two (2) copies of title page
- $28 entry fee
- Business sized SASE
- Stamped addressed postcard
- Postmarked between January 15
and March 15